Wednesday 9 March 2011

Book of the Week: I, Fatty by Jerry Stahl


I'm gonna try to do a book of the week every week. if i miss a week maybe i'll do two the next week. I have a ton of reads I'd like to recommend. I just finished this one.....
Its a first person biography of Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle, silent film star,  director, and accused rapist and murderer. Its an epic tragedy, from his youth as the overweight son of an abusive alcoholic father, desperate for approval to America's Favourite film star, hooked on dope , all the while filled with self loathing and seeking solace in a bottle. Written by Jerry Stahl, the guy who shot dope and spoked crack while trying to write episodes of Alf (remember Permanent Midnight with Ben Stiller? Thats the guy....). While its hard to know how much is actually fact its still an amazing story. I highly recommend. (Thanks for the tip Jesse)

No comments:

Post a Comment