Friday 17 June 2011

BOOK OF THE WEEK: NICO-SONGS THEY NEVER PLAY ON THE RADIO by James Young


 
I once knew this junkie chick who was a dominatrix. At first, hanging out with her was exotic and interesting. She'd tell stories about nailing  a dudes dick to a couch or making a guy shove a coffee pot up his ass and she'd be charming and lovely. Her siamese cat was named Bran Muffin, it only ate sardines. I thought I was cool when I hung around her....like she was some kinda supermodel. 
Pretty quickly our relationship wasn't so glamorous. I would have to give her rides to dealers houses, lend her cash  and eventually ended up looking after her ancient and horrible cat (and footing the bills) while it shit and pissed all over everything. I think that's what knowing Nico must have been like. 
This book is hilarious. I normally hate biographies but this is a worthy read. It traces the attempted comeback of Nico in the 80's. It was Written by the guy who was hired to play keyboard for the world tour. Great characters, perfect descriptions of life in the 80's and the inside stories of some of those shitty songs with Nico's harmonium....I can't believe I have all that shit on vinyl......

No comments:

Post a Comment