Thursday 3 January 2019

THE DEGENERATE PLANET TOP 10 of 2018


As per usual, few of my favorites from this year were from this year, era or even this Millenium. Not a single new rapper, producer or dj stirred any interest (save the death of XXXTentation) and no new tv and only one movie made the list. Am I looking back because I’m getting old or because there is nothing to look forward to? 
Here they are in no particular order.

1.Doodletown Pipers


It was such a joy to find another psychedelic bubblegum pop band in the vein of the 5th dimension.  I want to live in Doodletown. A land of racial harmony and heavily saturated primary colors. Clearly this was the pinnacle of evolution and we’ve been sliding back into the sea ever since. Apparently when they made an appearance on The Roger Miller show he called them “THe Poodletown Diapers”

2.Enoch Light

I’ve always loved the name Enoch. There used to be a sleestak on Land of Lost named Enoch. As a child I was crazy for Land of the Lost. My neighbour Kim would watch it with me and we’d fool around while my Mom was at work. One time my Mom came home early and we had to get dressed really quickly but didn’t realize our underwear was still sitting on the floor. Humiliating being busted for pre-pubescent exploration. I guess if it were modern times we’d both have been too busy identifying as the other gender to have any interest in sex….

3.Etel Adnan

When we saw the Etel Adnan show at SF Moma a friend said ‘doesnt it drive you crazy to see someone making it big doing something that looks like close up details of your work?’ 
I guess I could see some similarities to my paintings but clearly she had her own thing and was quite accomplished. And now after researching this Lebanese born poet and artist I am a huge fan and mortified that I even compared myself. Take a look at her lifes work and prepare to be humbled. She is 93 and one of the wisest beings on the planet. 

4.Beau Dick 
This year saw a moving Beau Dick documentary and a lovely coffee table book retrospective. If you aren’t already hip to the man and his work then familiarize yourself. Artist, freedom fighter, mentor and true human being…

5.Bruce Campbell in the 90s

As I come ever closer to half a century on this spinning horror show of a planet it’s hard to believe I haven’t come close to exhausting the supply of westerns and sitcoms I need to fuel my hungry soul…..and while I discovered a few shows from the 50s and 60s this year (Hopalong cassidy, the rifleman) what I found the most satisfying was two shows from the 90s starring Bruce Campbell. A western (what a surprise) ‘The Adventures of Bristol County Jr’ and a period drama ‘Jack of All Trades’. Both are cheesy with pretty decent plots, ham it up acting and plenty of terrible one liners. Definitely worth a revisit for any Evil Dead fans….


6.November

I could go on and on about all the old shit I saw but since there was a relatively new film I went to see this year…..
funny, fresh, creepy, classic. The casting and story alone make this worth it, not to mention the animation of the slave monster machine things. And how many Estonian horror fantasies are you gonna see this year?

7.Ramen
The 2018 restoration of arthouse classic film Tampopo-the first and only ‘Ramen Western’  (which I went to see on my birthday) spurred my interest in this amazing and unhealthy food. Not surprisingly unpopular with vegetarians I had slept on it my whole life. I had always associated it with Mr Noodle packets  and meat heavy asian noodle soups. But lo and behold there are a few amazing vegan and vegetarian options out there. The perfect ratio of salt, carbs, umami and grease is not just for carnivores anymore people….

8.Claude Young

I have been a fan since my fist days as a raver via his DJ Kicks outing. Hands down the best dj I saw in Vancouver this year. I can’t even describe the set….he was constantly mixing 3 tracks, manipulating 2 decks while crossfading with his face….playing weird shit, house, techno, psych and who knows what and just constantly expanding the vibe (did I just write that?). Whatever, it was really great.  


9.Sandy Denny

Am I mellowing in my middle age or is music just not really doing anything new? Where as just a few years ago there were always new genres being discovered now everything just sounds like Drake. But also, I have mellowed considerably. I spend my days listening to classical and when I put on records they are more often jazz or folk instead of B’more club and Detroit ghettotech. Anyway, I bought the whole  Fairport Convention collection not realizing that Sandy went solo. Now, I buy Sandy Denny records. (as well as well as The Strawbs, Steeleye Span, Pentangle and tons of other brit-folk)

10.Ohio Beach
I’ve loved Chicago since my first trip there where I volunteered trapping feral cats and getting them spayed in Little Mexico. It would have been my favourite American city except that there is so little nature and nowhere to swim. Apparently for a decade I didn't notice the entire Great Lake its sitting on. Or at least didnt realize you could safely swim in it…..this year we discovered Ohio Beach downtown….a few minutes walk from the Art Institute and you’re sipping cocktails in a cabana, swimming in pristine beautiful water and gazing across the lake with the Chicago skyline at your back. Now I’m ready to call this my favourite American City…..

Honourable Mentions:
Heavyweight Podcast with Jonathan Goldstein
SLAYER Goodbye tour


No comments:

Post a Comment